Today marked our first Circle of Life reception since 2019, with a strong turnout to help celebrate the value of California Rice to our state. A major focal point was the value of rice fields for wildlife habitat; especially vital during drought.
- Assembly Member Megan Dahle won the coveted Capitol Roller Competition for the best California Roll, beating out fellow Assembly Members Akilah Weber, Cecilia Aguiar-Curry, James Gallagher, Senator Brian Jones as well as California Department of Water Resources Deputy Director Kris Tjernell. As he has for many years, Billy Ngo of Kru Restaurant provided expert guidance to the rollers.
- The Circle of Life Award went to the State Department of Water Resources, for their partnership in getting emergency water in Sacramento Valley rice fields to help sustain the Pacific Flyway wildlife migration.
- More than 100 were on hand at the Sheraton Grand Sacramento, including Legislators, conservation representatives, media and industry members.
- Brandi Cummings of KCRA 3 Reports served as emcee. Media coverage included the Associated Press, all Sacramento TV stations and Comstock’s Magazine.
- Our two latest artists, Tyler Abshier and Jeff Myers, were recognized for their commissioned rice paintings, featured in many items including rice boxes. Our 2022 rice boxes were delivered to the Legislature yesterday.