Any rice grower that is planning to idle rice acres this growing season, the California Ricelands Waterbird Foundation (Foundation) might have a program opportunity. The Foundation is currently soliciting applications for rice fields that can provide quality nesting cover for waterfowl. We are interested in rice fields that will be idled this summer that currently have cover crops or other eligible volunteer plants on them. This Program pays rice farmers to leave their fields undisturbed for the waterfowl nesting season (through July 1) and allow the Foundation and its project partners access to monitor nesting activity.
- Application Deadline is March 31, 2021
- Must have idle rice fields for this growing season
- Must have vegetation on the fields suitable for nesting birds (cover crops are preferred but volunteer plants can be acceptable as well)
- Must have some form of brood water nearby (i.e., flooded rice field, irrigation canal)
- Leave the fields undisturbed from April 1 to July 1
- Payment rate: $25/acre
If you are interested in this program please contact Luke Matthews, Wildlife Programs Manager for the California Rice Commission, at (916) 607-8988 or email@example.com, by March 31, 2021, in order to have your field(s) considered for this program.