The California Ricelands Waterbird Foundation has extended the application window for its Bid4Birds habitat program. The new deadline is 5 pm on Friday, January 15. To apply for this program simply visit the Foundation website and fill out the Bid Form.
One important clarification: Unlike our Fall program, this Spring season program has no excluded areas based upon mosquito concerns.
Key Elements of the Program include:
- Incentive payments for growers to implement shallow flooding for shorebirds
- Contracts: 4-10 week commitments
- Timeline: February 15 through May 31
- Habitat in late March and April is most valuable
- Flooding: maximum of 4″ throughout contract period
- Post-harvest straw management required
- 75 acres minimum
- Contracts are ranked on timing, habitat quality, and price
If you have any questions about the program or would just like to learn more, please visit the Bid4Birds webpage, view the original program announcement (LINK), or contact CRC Wildlife Programs Manager Luke Matthews at email@example.com or (916) 607-8988.